Have you been wondering why you should bother using Twitter or Facebook as part of your marketing plan? Social networking incorporates the following aspects of human nature:
- People like to be involved
- People like to be appreciated
- People like to share their knowledge and experiences
Social networking is about building relationships – on a wide scale.
You can use social media to find out what motivates your customers to buy from your business over your competitors.
Your fans will let you know in real time what works and doesn’t work about your business. I have personally used Facebook and Twitter to resolve customer service issues I was having with companies. I was to the point of not even using the business ever again when I decided to post my dissatisfaction on the company’s Facebook page and Twitter profile.
I got quick responses when my previous phone calls and emails hadn’t worked and I’m still doing business with those companies. You can be the business owner known for a quick response to customer service issues. People will know you care about their needs and continuing business relationship not just making a quick buck.
Using social media is a great market research tool to understand what your customer wants:
- Posting questions for your customers to answer. People love to participate and give their opinions on a variety of topics. It’s amazing how many people will share their knowledge and expertise if you only ask by posting a question on Facebook or Twitter.
- Use surveys and polls. There are third party applications you can use and many are free or low cost. Are you curious to know why certain products or services sell more than others? Wondering if a new product or service you’re considering offering will even sell? Create a survey or poll and post it on Facebook and tweet a link to it on Twitter.
- Ask people what they like and don’t like about your products. You may find out how to improve what they are already buying so they will buy more often and referring their friends. Maybe they want more flexibility in service or more choices in colors or sizes in products you sell. Making a few small adjustments could increase sales without investing a lot of money in a new product or service that wouldn’t appeal to your customer base.
- Show customer appreciation by providing rewards for their participation. Give a discount or coupon for a free treat/sample when they come into your business or make an online purchase as the reward for completing the survey, poll or answering the questions you posted.
- Reward them for doing something they already wanted to do. Some times offering a reward for clicking LIKE on your Facebook Fan Page can be rewarded. After I clicked LIKE on a local business Fan Page they provided a 20% off discount coupon for me to print. I wasn’t expecting it and planned to LIKE their Fan page regardless. But now that I have the coupon I’m ready to go spend some money at the store I wasn’t planning on spending at all. How’s that for motivating your customers to spend money?
Using social media to market your business is a vital way to connect with your customers.
Use social networking to show our customers you appreciate them and want their feedback so you can keep improving your business to fit their needs. It’s also an effective platform to share your expertise and let people know why your business has the best services or products to fit their needs. Use your Facebook Fan Page or Twitter profile to be the online gathering place for prospects looking for what you have to offer.